Monday, August 11, 2008

Say No to Racism...





My company organised a movie treat tonight. We watched “Remember the Titans”. A Denzel Washington movie known for its forceful coaxing and team building, which led to two racially-motivated, black and white teams, coming together in unity and achieving success.

Today we lived in racially stained society. Everyday our words, actions, writing and thoughts are infected one way or another with racial discrimination. Such action leads to hatred, lost of friendship and money through legal lawsuit. Most recently it caused at teacher in Klang her job due to racial slur.

In November 2000, the Coca-Cola Company, one of the most global company, settled largest settlement ever in a corporate racial discrimination case, the Coca-Cola Company agreed to pay more than US$156 million to resolve a federal lawsuit brought by black employees.

But racism does have ‘positive’ notes. We all laughed at the occasional racist joke. Racism has also pushed revolution such as the Apartheid. In the movie “Remember the Titans, racism led to unity and success. What is more important is our interpretation of racism. To me, being an anti-racism believer, racism is an instrument of thoughts, in which the thoughts will lead to actionable answers, either for good or for bad.

On a separate but related note, I love Malaysia because of our multi-racial composition and artificial “racialfication” . My college friends said that I am a Tamilan in a Chinese body. My close Malay friend is as Chinese as what Chinese eats. My colleague is as Indian as its skin, but claimed half Chineseness.
I love Coca Cola, I love Malaysia. Happy Merdeka Malaysia!!!




No comments: