Friday, September 5, 2008

Hard To Say I’m Sorry…

June 1999 : The World; Coca-Cola Hopes Things Go Better With 'Sorry'
.
A ban of Coca Cola in Belgium (after reports of people being sick), which spread to France, Luxembourg and the Netherlands a day later in varying degrees, turned into the largest recall of Coke products in history and created a public-relations mess for the company. M. Douglas Ivester, Chairman of Coca Cola Company said ''I'm sorry'' or ''we regret'' or 'I apologize'' five times. ''We let down the people of Belgium,'' he said, ''and we're sorry for that.''
After-Sorry Effect : Ban lifted, and Coca Cola spent millions to re-build the peoples' confidence

September 2008 : Why Should I Apologise .
A local politician has refused to apologise over his racist remark calling the Chinese community “immigrants who do not deserve equal rights”. “Why should I apologise? I didn’t do anything wrong. Those who do wrong should apologise but I haven’t done anything.”
After-Sorry Effect : Not Applicable. He didn’t say sorry .



August 2007 : I'm sorry, says Negarakuku rapper
A Malaysian who controversially popularized our national anthem where he was faulted for his rough language, irreverent expression and lack of sensitivity when touching on religious matters. The controversial video author issued an open apology to those who were offended by his work. “I’m sorry if my works offended Malaysian Citizens. Please accept my sincerity”.
After-Sorry Effect : Public accepts, but government doesn’t. He even got death threats.


August 2008 : Failed System Upgrade ; The Company’s Not Forgiving
A failed upgrade over a weekend caused hundreds of salesmen selling using manual method. Managers in-directly condemned the Person-in-Charge ‘PIC’ despite the ‘PIC’ assuming responsibility. “ There is always risk in upgrade. Yes we failed this time, but do the company acknowledge the dozens of times the upgrade WORKED, and brought many enhancements to the company?” said the ‘PIC’
After-Sorry Effect : Performance Rating fall flat, ‘PIC’ continued to be labeled in-competent.

No comments: